Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Rogue is over. And I am just beat.

Two years ago, I started referring to the Rogue Performance Festival as the Bataan Death March Performing Arts Festival. That year, the Festival had suddenly grown in something so big, that I started to feel that working on the Rogue had become an endurance contest that would drive anyone to exhaustion.

Two years later, the Rogue is bigger and working on it is even tougher. When you look at the stats of this year's Rogue, the sheer size of this thing is absurd. Seven days of performances. One hundred performance companies, dance troupes, filmmakers and individual performers and visual artists. Over 200 performances. If I had a brain left, I'd calculate how many hours it would take you to see everything that was in the 2007 Rogue.

Producing the Rogue is hard work, and the Rogue Volunteer Corps who make it all happen are an amazing group of people. They work like demons. When situations arise, they immediately take responsibility and fix the problem on the spot. Many of the Rogue Corps are performers who are juggling their own Rogue shows while working on the Festival. There are few for-profit companies that work as efficiently or successfully as the Rogue Festival.

I did 12 performances in six days. Six days when I practically lived in my costume. Six days when I often forgot to eat. I'm so tired I can barely see, but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

1 comment:

Semi-Gloss Lacquer said...

Twelve performances in six days, in which you practically slept in your costume...

good lord Jaguar...
I was going to hand an award to you, instead?
I'm giving it to your drycleaner...

(...lets not go to Camelot, for it is a silly place...)

-doing an A to B comparrison of the Rogue to that World Class Bicycle race through town?
I think we're better.
1. -we let folks cross the street whenever they want.
2. -and we don't ride along Olive, wearing lycra and no underwear, with silly hats vomiting all over our 7,000 dollar racing bicycles...

(closest we came was me belching particularly loud after one of those energy drinks and hitting a bump on my 70.00 spl.)